Dog Club Life is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
A dog harness is one of the best tools that’ll give you better control over your German Shepherd during walks and training. However, it can be a challenge to find a harness that can handle the high energy, and large bodies of this breed.
In this article, we discuss the best harnesses for German Shepherds and what things to consider when buying one.
Best Harness For German Shepherds
If you’re in a hurry, here’s a summary of the best harness for German Shepherds:
- Best overall harness – EXPAWLORER Big Dog Harness
- Most durable harness – ICEFANG Tactical Dog Harness
- Best on a budget – Lifepul No Pull Dog Vest Harness
- Best car harness – Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Harness
The EXPAWLORER Big Dog Harness is a heavy-duty harness that’s perfect for your German Shepherd. Its metal D-ring and sizable buckle closer ensures that your pet is secure on your daily walks. This harness has two leash attachment rings so you can choose which ring is best.
- Strong rubber ring
- Metal D ring
- No pull design
- Nighttime reflective tape
- Made from nylon
- Quick-release buckle
- Comfortable and breathable
- Adjustable and easy to use
- Front chest strap may be too short
Compared to other harnesses, the Rabbitgoo No-Pull Dog Harness has a wider chest coverage. This helps reduce strain on your dog’s joints and distributes the pressure when your dog pulls. It even has extra padding that’s perfect for German Shepherds with sore joints.
This harness is easy to use and put on. You can choose from its two leash connection points for your daily walks. It even has adjustable straps for a snug fit.
- 2 metal leash rings
- Chest attachment clip
- 2 fast-release buckles
- With top handle for additional control
- 4 easy adjusting straps
- Made of Nylon Oxford
- Bright reflective strips
- No pull, no choke
- Great for dogs who tend to pull
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean and lightweight
- Adjustable and breathable
- Hard to adjust as the straps don’t move very easily
The Lifepul No Pull Dog Vest Harness keeps your dog visible with its bright red color. Made from mesh and ultra-durable nylon material, this dog vest harness is very durable and strong. The handle found on the back of the harness provides you control and keeps your dog from pulling you down. You can also attach a seat belt on the leash connector D ring and keep your dog safe when traveling.
- Leash connector D ring
- Made of highest quality nylon, nickel-plated hardware, and soft padding
- Reflective material stitching
- Quick-release buckles
- Control handle
- Easy to put on and off
- Soft and breathable
- Some users reported that the buckle loosens pretty easily
The RUFFWEAR Front-Range Harness is made from durable material that can dry quickly. It features a soft padding on the shoulder and chest area so your German Shepherd can use it for a long period without feeling uncomfortable. It has several adjustment points for a comfortable and snug fit.
- Reflective trimming
- 2 leash attachment points
- 4 points of adjustment
- Aluminum attachment rings are reinforced with webbing
- Padded chest and belly panels
- Tuck ID tags into the built-in pocket
- Great for pullers
- Easy on and off
- Quite bulky
The Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Harness is one of the best dog car harnesses in today’s market. It can keep your dog safe and secure in the vehicle. It has a seat belt attachment that easily attaches to the shoulder belt of your car. As a dog car harness, this is crash tested and proven to be safe.
Compared to other harnesses, the Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Harness has 5 adjustment points so your dog stays snug and comfortable. It even has 2 leash connection points.
- 5 easy adjustable points
- Plastic quick-release buckles
- No-pull training clip
- 2 leash connection points (chest and back)
- Back leash ring
- Seat belt tether included
- Easy to take on and take off
- Great as a walking harness and a car harness
- Comes with hassle-free Kurgo lifetime warranty against manufacturer defects
- The buckles can take some time getting used to
For tactical work, the ICEFANG Tactical Dog Harness is a military-grade piece that’ll be perfect for your German Shepherd. It boasts of alloy metal buckles that can hold 1,000 pounds of pressure. This harness is durable and sturdy since it’s made from military 1050D nylon material. It has multiple adjustment points to give your dog a custom fit.
- Military 1050D nylon material
- 4 position adjustable
- Back leash Clip
- MOLLE system on the sides
- Hook and loop panel for badge ID
- No-rub as well as escape-proof
- Easy to use
- Allows your dog to carry gear
- Soft padded ventilate mesh
- Weak stitching
The Julius K9 PowerHarness is a popular harness among German Shepherd owners. It features an excellent level of balance and control with its back-clip style. Its interior is made from breathable material while its exterior is from a water-resistant material. For evening and early morning walks, you’ll love its reflective material strip.
- Closable handle
- Free luminous Julius-K9 logo
- Reflective chest strap
- Water repellent surface
- Interchangeable hook and loop patches
- Heavy-duty buckle
- Can bear an outstanding 300 kilograms of weight
- Escape-proof and can be put on easily
- Water repellant
- The instructions are not very good
- There is nothing that will secure the dogs neck
- The band covering the chest isn’t padded
Things to Consider When Buying a Harness For German Shepherds
Before buying a harness for your German Shepherd, here are a few things to consider:
German Shepherds are a large breed. They have a lot of energy and can exert a lot of force when they pull. With this in mind, you’ll want to have a durable harness that will last a long time. Choose a harness that has thick straps, steel buckles, and solid snaps. Also, avoid any harness with velcro or thin material.
Does the harness have your dog’s size? Measure your dog and compare the measurements to that of the manufacturer’s. Find a harness that will provide your dog with a proper fit.
Keep your dog comfortable by choosing a harness with a breathable fabric. Avoid harnesses that only have one or two adjustment points. Instead, opt for harnesses that have around four adjustment points. This way, the harness snugly fits your dog.