French bulldogs are a favorite among dog owners. They make great family pets and are very bright. Compared to other dogs, Frenchies don’t need a lot of exercise. But that doesn’t mean they don’t enjoy going on walks.
Because of this, it’s important to have a durable harness for your French Bulldog so you can bring him to the park and go on walks if you want to. However, it can be hard to find the perfect harness that can fit your pup.
Lucky you, you’ve come to the right place! We’ve done all the research for you and rounded up the best French bulldog harnesses for you to choose from.c
French Bulldog Harness Vs Collar: Which is Better?
Between harnesses and collars, we recommend harnesses. These help prevent putting too much pressure on your dog’s windpipe. Your dog can choke or gag on a collar. Plus, harnesses are more comfortable.
French bulldogs are prone to the brachycephalic’ syndrome. As such, you should use a harness when walking your dog but this doesn’t mean that your dog can’t wear a collar. You can have him wear a harness in collaboration with a collar for ID tags in case he runs away.
Best Dog Harness For French Bulldogs
If you’re in a hurry, here’s a summary of the best dog harness for French Bulldog:
- Best overall harness – Bulldog Grade Dog Harness
- Most durable harness – Julius-K9 PowerHarness
- Best value – Chai’s Choice
- Best car harness – Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Harness
The Julius-K9 PowerHarness is one of the best and most popular dog harnesses amongst dog owners, trainers, and walkers. It’s water repellant and is made from the best quality German materials. The buckles are permanently tested and checked while the metal D-rings are securely fixed in place.
The harness is designed to allow free movement. Your dog’s throat won’t even be constricted. For early mornings and late night walks, your French Bulldog will stay visible with the reflective chest strap and luminous logo.
- Closable handle
- Free luminous Julius-K9 logo
- Reflective chest strap
- Water repellent surface
- Interchangeable hook and loop patches
- Heavy-duty buckle
- Can bear an outstanding 300 kilograms of weight
- Escape-proof and can be put on easily
- Water repellant
- The instructions are not very good
- There is nothing that will secure the dogs neck
- The band covering the chest isn’t padded
Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Harness can both be used for walking and for keeping your dog safe inside the car. In fact, it’s one of the best car harnesses in the market today. This harness features a dog seat belt tether. You can choose to buy the crash-test certified version or the easy on and off buckles. With its 5 adjustment points, you can get a comfortable fit for your French bulldog.
- 5 easy adjustable points
- Plastic quick-release buckles
- No-pull training clip
- Back leash ring
- Seat belt tether included
- Easy to take on and take off
- Great as a walking harness and a car harness
- Lifetime warranty
- Needs a swivel for dogs who like to walk in several circles before lying down so the tether strap doesn’t get twisted
Training your pup can be a challenge but with the Ruffwear Front Range Harness, it gets easier. This harness has two leash connection points (front and top). The front connection point is best for dogs who are still learning how to walk while the top connection point is best for dogs who know their boundaries.
With a lot of heavy padding, your dog is sure to be comfortable with this harness. It has four adjustment points for a snug fit. It’s easy to slip on over your dog’s head, too.
- Reflective trimming
- 2 leash attachment points
- 4 points of adjustment
- Aluminum attachment rings are reinforced with webbing
- Padded chest and belly panels
- Tuck ID tags into the built-in pocket
- Great for pullers
- Easy on and off
- Quite bulky
The Chai’s Choice Dog Harness is a great choice for your French Bulldog if you often go on walks on late night evenings and early mornings when it’s dark. This highly visible harness features several neon colors to choose from and packed with reflective trim all throughout.
It’s exterior is made from a scratch-resistant Oxford material with nylon webbing on the chest and straps. The inner layer, on the other hand is made from a nylon mesh that’s breathable for your pup. This harness is also very comfortable with the light sponge padding.
- Made of scratch-resistant oxford material
- Lightweight Duraflex buckle
- Two leash attachment points (back and chest)
- Nylon webbing with 3M reflective material
- Sturdy handle for easy seat belt attachment
- Soft sponge padding in chest and belly
- Comfortable and lightweight mesh lining
- Ergonomic design
- Provides good visibility at night
- Easy on and off
- Hard to adjust
Designed by bulldog owners, the Bulldog Grade Dog Harness is customized to fit bulldogs in all sizes including English bulldogs, French bulldogs, American bulldogs, Victorian bulldogs and more.
Unlike other harnesses, its top panel is completely reversible and detachable. This makes it easy to remove the chest part and pop it into the washer. You won’t worry about any hardware banging around. It also provides a lot of extra room for your pup’s belly and neck.
- Reflective straps
- Oxford cloth/mesh combination fabric
- 4 extra-strong buckles
- Detachable/reversible top panel
- Includes a fix car seat safety strap
- 1 year warranty
- Easily adjustable
- Can double as a car harness
- Reflective, , no-pull, and no-choke design
- Some users have reported that the side adjusting the straps do not stay in place
Frenchies have large heads and chests making it challenging to find the right harness. But the Puppia RiteFit Soft Dog Harness has a lot of rave reviews from French Bulldog owners.
This harness features a secure quick-release clasp at the back with two D-rings for leash attachment and a fuzzy fastener closure in the front. With soft air-mesh padding, your dog is sure to be comfortable all throughout your walk.
- Vest-style harness
- Soft air-mesh padding
- Made from 100% polyester
- Breathable mesh
- Stylish and comfortable
- Soft and breathable material
- Tricky sizing
Rabbitgoo Dog Harness is a great no pull dog harness for small breed owners. It’s inexpensive and great for both training and walking your dog. It uses two metal leash rings (back and chest) and has two adjustable side straps (front and neck).
The quick release buckle makes it easy to remove. For evening and early morning walks, this harness keeps your dog visible with its bright reflective strips.
- 2 metal leash rings
- Chest attachment clip
- 2 fast-release buckles
- With top handle for additional control
- 4 easy adjusting straps
- Made of Nylon Oxford
- Bright reflective strips
- No pull, no choke
- Great for dogs who tend to pull
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean and lightweight
- Hard to adjust as the straps don’t move very easily
Things To Consider Before Buying A French Bulldog Harness
Before buying a French Bulldog harness, here are a few things to consider.
- Size – When buying a harness for your dog, it’s important that you get the right size. Choose one that features a wide chest piece and multiple points of adjustment.
- Comfort – French Bulldogs don’t need a lot of exercises compared to other dogs. However, it’s important that you provide them with a comfortable harness that will not affect their breathing. There shouldn’t be any strain on your dog’s neck or throat. Choose a harness that has a breathable design and material. The best ones are made from mesh and other lightweight fabrics.
- Safety – Keep your dog safe with a harness that has a durable leash attachment and reflective trims.
Types of French Bulldog Harnesses
Here are several types of harnesses for your French Bulldog.
- Harness Vest – These are easy to put on and take off. If you have a well-behaved dog, you might want to get this type of harness. They’re simple, inexpensive, and made of various materials.
- Front and Back Clip Harness – This type features a leash attachment point at the front, back, or both. This harness is designed for training, reduce pulling, and distributing pressure when walking.
- Tightening or Control Harness – This harness tightens whenever your dog pulls on the lead. We don’t recommend this harness unless you’re an experienced handler or trainer. If you’re not familiar with them, you might cause more harm than good. It can result in worsening behavior, pain, and discomfort.
How To Choose The Appropriate Size Harness For Your French Bulldog
Sizing is one of the most common issues of harnesses when you read reviews. Because of this, it’s very important to learn how to choose the appropriate size. To help you avoid this, we’re sharing how to choose the right size.
Before you order a dog harness, measure your Frenchie’s girth (it’s the widest part of their body), length and neck. Then, check the manufacturer’s sizing chart to help you determine which size you should order.
Finally, choose a harness that has several adjustment points so you can easily adjust it when your French Bulldog grows.